Maranatha Volunteers International is seeking an accounting specialist that is interested in missions and wants to join our non-profit operation. This position will be exciting, fast-paced, occasional high pressure, rewarding, and some travel. The ideal candidate will:
- Live locally in the Sacramento, CA region.
- Be a committed Christian.
- Have mission or non-profit experience.
- Have professional goals that match the mission and focus of Maranatha.
- Have two years of accounting experience.
- Have adequate computer literacy and familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet, and accounting packages.
The successful candidate will interact with volunteers, donors, and other individuals and companies involved with Maranatha.
Applies the principles of accounting within assigned areas. Compiles financial information, processes journal entries into various accounts, reconciles reports and financial data. Some familiarity with and an awareness of the laws and regulations that apply to accounting function are required to ensure compliance. Possesses some knowledge of financial accounting systems. The Vice President of Finance will be the direct supervisor.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work with accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll.
- Prepare and make bank deposits.
- Receive, process, and reconcile statements.
- Initiate and process journal entries into various accounts.
- Compile financial information and assist in the preparation of reports.
- Maintain accurate records, including ledgers, journals, receipts, and invoices.
- Reconciles sub-ledgers to the general ledger and resolves differences.
- Prepare and distribute annual IRS forms.
- Assist with preparation for annual audits.
- Perform administrative and other tasks as needed.
Accounting Specialist Qualifications/Skills:
- Understanding of GAAP accounting principles
- Familiarity with accounting packages, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Outlook
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy in entering financial data
- Excel at math and research skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proficiency with 10-key typing and data entry
- Deadline-driven with excellent time management ability
Scope of Responsibility:
Knows the formal and informal departmental goals, standards, policies, and procedures which may include some familiarity of other departments within the organization. Is sensitive to the interrelationship of both people and functions within the department.
On a regular and continuous basis, exercises administrative judgment and assumes responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people, costs, and/or quality of service within the functional area.
$26.50-$36.50 an hour.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- 1-3 years of general accounting experience.
- 1-3 years of experience working with payroll, accounts receivable, and accounts payable.
- Proficiency in the use of software applications, databases, spreadsheets, and word processing required.
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field preferred.
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.